Thursday, December 27, 2012

Nail Art Is The Best Art

JK! It's not the best art. German Expressionism is probably the best art. But nail art is a close second. Many have called it "the last bastion of art solely by and for women", but I call it simply good clean fun. Today, the wonderful Tracie Egan Morrissey of Jezebel introduced us to her favorite nail art of 2012, and I've got to admit there were some real gems:


First and foremost, Zooey Deschanel's year in nail art (above). Say what you will about the woman (I despise her tweeness), she has impeeecccable nail taste.

Then there are the Joy Division inspired Unknown Pleasures nails which pretty much blew my mind way open (below):


And what would a year in nails be if we didn't include a few memes, ala the Jesus Fresco fiasco:


Then this got me thinking about my own favorite nail art of 2012...


Mostly, how bad ass this chick looks. She's like the fun friend to the Mexican goth teenager shopping for Morrissey records in creepers.


And the below number from Spain's Ghetto Nailz is like the awesome stepchild of Jodorowsky and Greg Araki. I want to be rich enough to fly to Spain and have someone do this crap for me:


But of course, where would nail art be without haute couture, the ultimate form of wearable aesthetics?:


(Above) The Margiela decal might be the most inspired, but the Dior ones you could probably sell in Chinatown. (Below) Really, really on point COMME des GARÇONS nail art complete with sparkly purse that is also by them.


And finally, my all time favorite nails, from a random email from AnOther Magazine:


Credits: Unknown Pleasures nails by Sophie Harris-Greenslade of The Illustrated Nail, Jesus Fresco nails by Madeline Pool, rest unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment